Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Senior Moments

As my senior year is came to a close, I took part in some amazing "senior moments" if you will.

May 9th: the Senior Dinner Dance

I had the incredible opportunity to perform at this dinner dance after a member of the student council asked me to. I chose to sing "For Good" from the musical Wicked. I felt it was very fitting for this occasion, and as I sang the words I was filled with immense gratitude for those I had known and met during high school. It was an amazing experience.
 
"I've heard it said, that people come into our lives for a reason,
Bringing something we must learn.
And we are led, to those who help us most to grow if we let them, and we help them in return.
I know I'm who I am today, because I knew you.
It well may be, that we will never meet again in this lifetime.
So, let me say before we part, so much of me, is made of what I learned from you.
You'll be with me, like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend.
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good."
 
I felt every single lyric of that song as I looked into the faces of those in the audience who I had met, grown with, and learned from. That moment is one I will never forget. And spending it with my closest friends made it that much better. :)
 

Not the best picture, but hey, at least we have it documented. :)
 
 
May 16th: Senior Sluff day at Lagoon




My lovely, lovely friends...:)
 


May 20th: Senior Recognition Night.
 
This program was one in which seniors were recognized for their accomplishments during high school.  Many scholarships had been awarded to students, and inside the program contained a list of each student who had received a scholarship, and which one they had been given.  It was amazing to look through the list and be so happy for each of those students because of their dedication and hard work.
 
 



Towards the end of the evening, different pairs of teachers awarded special awards to students.  These included: "Excellence in the Arts", "All Around Athlete", "Caveman Excellence", and "Spirit of the Caveman".
 
As the teachers began announcing the "Spirit of the Caveman" award, they stated that both a boy and a girl had been chosen to receive this honor.  Then they started reading the names of the top five girls who had been nominated by the student body. As I sat there listening, I was in complete shock when my name was read.  I got out of my seat and walked on to the stage to stand next to the incredible nominees. Once we were all up there, they explained only one had been chosen, out of all of those who had been nominated.
 

"And the 'Spirit of the Caveman' award goes to. . . . . Brianna Bartlett!"
 

 
I couldn't believe it.  Me?  Out of all of these incredible girls and all of the other girls at American Fork High School, I was the one chosen for this award?  I was in shock.  I walked over to my English teacher, who was the one handing me the plaque, and I gave her a big hug as she told me "Congratulations. You deserve it."  My heart was bursting with gratitude as I made my way back to my seat.  What an incredible honor this was.
 



 




"Spirit of the Caveman" Student Choice Award

"A Senior whose influence has made AF High a better place because of their positive outlook, good example, strength during struggle, and thoughtfully watching out for their fellow students."


As I think back to that night, I am in awe.  I am in awe that I was nominated and chosen.  I didn't feel I deserved it.  I could think of so many others who easily could have been awarded the "Spirit of the Caveman".  So many people I know are struggling, and yet look out for others and wear a smile each and every day.  I feel that they are the ones who deserve this.  I am incredible honored, humbled, and full of the utmost gratitude for receiving this award.  In a very big way, it is a reminder to me that I was able to make a difference.  I was able to inspire.  And for that I will be forever grateful, because that has been my mission this entire year--to inspire.  And through the aid of my loving Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ, I was able to do so.
 
But I haven't been the only one who has been blessed with this capacity.  I have been inspired by so many others around me, and I will never forget them and their handprints on my heart.
 
Please don't ever underestimate the power of your influence on others. :)
 
All my love, Brianna <3

No comments:

Post a Comment